Installing Advance Warning Signs For Freeways And Expressways
- Use this PATA when the work vehicle and/or the shadow vehicle(s) occupies the travel lane while installing advance warning signs along freeways and expressways.
- Shadow vehicle 1 and shadow vehicle 2 are required. Shadow vehicle 3 is optional.
- Flashing arrow panels are required for all shadow vehicles. Placement of the Lane Closed (W20-5L or W20-5R) sign on shadow vehicle 2 and shadow vehicle 3 is optional. If used, it should be placed so that it will not diminish the target value of the flashing arrow panel.
- If sufficient shoulder width is not available for the shadow vehicles positioned on the shoulder, shadow vehicles shall be positioned as close as possible to the shoulder edge.
- Shadow vehicles are permitted to straddle edge lines.
- Whenever adequate stopping sight distance exists to the rear, the shadow vehicle should maintain the minimum distance from the work vehicle and proceed at the same speed. The shadow vehicle should slow down in advance of vertical or horizontal curves.
- This operation should be done during non-peak hours of traffic or at times specified by the District Traffic Unit.
- To remove signs, complete in reverse order in which they were installed (For example, if using a right lane closure, complete phase 2 followed by phase 1).
- If using PATA 407 and PATA 408, distances between advanced warning signs are 1 mile and are not distances B, C, and F.
- PATA 007B my be used in conjunction with PATA 007A if warranted by field conditions.
- Refer to PATA 012 for arrow panel sizing.
Phase 1 - Placing Signs on Right Side of Highway
Phase 2 - Placing Signs on Right Side of Highway