Installing Advance Warning Signs For Freeways And Expressways
- Use this PATA when there will be no roadway encroachment while installing advance warning signs along freeways and expressways.
- Shadow vehicle 1 is required. Shadow vehicle 2 is optional.
- Flashing arrow panels in caution mode are required for all shadow vehicles.
- Shadow vehicles shall not straddle edge lines.
- Whenever adequate stopping sight distance exists to the rear, the shadow vehicle should maintain the minimum distance from the work vehicle and proceed at the same speed. The shadow vehicle should slow down in advance of vertical or horizontal curves.
- This operation should be done during non-peak hours of traffic or at times specified by the District Traffic Unit.
- To remove signs, complete in reverse order in which they were installed (For example, if using a right lane closure, complete phase 2 followed by phase 1).
- If using PATA 407 and PATA 408, distances between advanced warning signs are 1 mile and are not distances B, C, and F.
- PATA 007A may be used in conjunction with PATA 007B if warranted by field conditions.
- Refer to PATA 012 for arrow panel sizing.
Phase 1 - Placing Signs on Right Side of Highway
Phase 2 - Placing Signs on Left Side of Highway