Act 229 Guidelines
- The installation of the Work Zone-Turn on Headlights (R22-1), Active Work Zone When Flashing (W21-19), and End Active Work Zone (W21-20) signs, and the flashing white lights are not required for any of the following situations:
- Mobile operations
- Operations 1 hour or less in duration.
- Stationary work where the daily duration of the construction, maintenance, or utility operation is less than 12 hours and all traffic control devices are removed from the highway at the completion of the daily operation.
- The normal speed limit is 45 MPH or less.
- The work is in response to emergency work or conditions such as a major storm.
- Erect the Work Zone-Turn on Headlights (R22-1) sign as the first sign on each primary approach to the work zone, generally at a distance of 250' to 1000' prior to the first warning sign.
- Erect the Active Work Zone When Flashing (W21-19) sign on each approach to an active work zone. If flaggers are present, place the signs in the advance warning area; otherwise place the signs as close as practical to the active work zone.
- When multiple Active Work Zones are separated by a distance of more than 1 mile, erect a sign on each approach.
- The Active Work Zone When Flashing (W21-19) light shall be activated only when workers are present, and shall be deactivated when work activity is not anticipated during the next 60 minutes.
- When the work zone is on a freeway or expressway, appropriate Act 229 signing and lights shall be installed at on-ramp approaches to the work zone.
Flagger Conditon Two Lane,Two Way
Non-Flagger Condition One Way